microfiction by jeremy s. griffin

8/2/07

For Breakfast, I Will Eat Satellites

Isn't it hard being so tall and powerful? they will ask, So graceful and kind? and I will tell them No, no, it is a gift that only the truest and mightiest may possess. I cherish it so! They will smile and ask if please please can we see just one more amazing feat?, and I will frown and nod and start to say perhaps another day, friends, but just as their twinkling eyes begin to dwindle into melancholy, I will turn and reach inside each of their hearts and pull out their wildest dreams.

I will extract puppies and gold bracelets and heirlooms and other such rewards for their faith. They will drop to their knees and weepthank you! thank you! oh you are so kind and merciful! we owe you big time! I will say it will be no matter, because for me it will certainly be none.

I will fly off into the future, where my army of followers will rejoice in glee at the sight of my return. There will be a grand ball in my honor, 400 years in the making. The bride of every man will toss him aside in hopes of a glimpse of my rippling chest. My followers will slaughter their first born to touch my hand. And I will make them do it. See? See what I am willing to do? Please let me touch your hands!, they'll say as they choke a piglet wrapped in swaddle to his death, all squealing and kicking. I'll let them touch my fingers, and then I'll expertly spin the dead squealer into a meal fit for forty kings, and all my desperate minions will feast until they explode. We shall dance, and I will outdance each man, wife and child. And their children's children, whom they will borne right there, as a result of my dancing.

When I finally tire, I will swallow the sun and sleep in the ocean-- the sand my bedding, and each wave my blanket.